Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Surprises abound!

Huh. Well, apparently polls are not to be trusted. I didn't get home from work until about 8:15 tonight and I got online expecting to see big numbers for Barack. Um, no. Hillary is the comeback kid of the evening in New Hampshire! I wonder if it had anything to do with her showing an ounce of emotion or maybe it was Bill's fairy tale speech. Barack did look a bit cocky last night, I hope his throat feels better. Congrats to Hillary!

I like Tuesdays because Frontline is on PBS. Yeah, I know, I'm a huge nerd. I was actually pretty intrigued by the show that was on before Frontline. It was about zombies and witch doctors in Haiti. Apparently witch doctors in Haiti use some paralyzing poison from puffer fish to make people seem like they're dead, but really they're just paralyzed. So when the poison wears off and the "dead" person comes back to life he or she becomes a zombie. This poison may have a future for space travellers. Seriously. Pretty cool considering I am interested in both zombies AND space travel.


Back to Frontline: it was about young kids (4-8) who have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and are being medicated. It was fascinating, but also heartbreaking. I'm just going to throw this out there now: I cried. Do I think some 4 and 5 year old kids have serious psychological problems? Yes. Do I think medicating them can be beneficial? Definitely. Do I think there should be additional treatment options in addition to pharmaceuticals? Absolutely. I'm certainly not a doctor, but it seemed like some of the doctors were so quick to prescribe or increase medication without any therapy. Serious anti-psychotic medication like Risperdal (used to treat schizophrenia). I felt so bad for the parents, they were so desperate to find a cure for their kids' suffering. Then there was the issue of drugs not being clinically tested on children so it's basically a guessing game to find the right drug with the least side effects. And this guessing game sometimes has a tragic result: death. The world is so sad sometimes...

After becoming thoroughly depressed by Frontline and the world, I called Sarah. She patiently listened to my rant about being irritated with just about everything and everyone today. We casually talk about New Hampshire and Barack and then she drops a bomb on me. Apparently, she has taken some political quiz and the candidate she is most aligned with is Dennis Kucinich! I about had a heart attack. This girl voted for Bush in 2000! Go Sarah! :)

I'll leave you with a quote I found today...plus I really like the cool Cubist picture of Emerson I found.

"Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Hil!

Briana Ward said...

Hey,
I too posted on the frontilne special that was on last night. it is heart breaking and I too shed a few tears, mostly because I know all too well all of these parents stories.

Thanks for the tip on the book, I am going to go and check it out at the library as soon as I finish Harry Potter. (My son and I are seeing who can finish first, he will probably win!)

By the way, my mom says hi and wanted me to let you know of all her Nieces, you are by far her favorite! She also really enjoyed your Christmas card.