Monday, January 21, 2008

MLK Tribute and the rest of the weekend

Happy Birthday Martin Luther King, Jr! There is a campaign to make MLK Day "A day ON, not a day off!" So go volunteer somewhere, help someone in need, read more about Dr. King's message, listen to his "I Have a Dream" speech or just be nice to a stranger.




The wisdom of MLK, a follower of my beloved Gandhi's philosophy of non-violence, never ceases to amaze me. So much of what he had to say is still applicable to our world today.

"History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people."

"Non-violence is a powerful and just weapon, which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it. It is a sword that heals. "

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

And finally, a quote from one of my favorite MLK books Why We Can't Wait:


"Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed."

"I Have a Dream"


My weekend was pretty mellow. Friday I hung out with Lesley and Sonny and I was finally able to see There Will Be Blood. Amazing! If this movie doesn't win Best Picture and Daniel Day-Lewis doesn't win best actor I am boycotting the Oscars for life. I'm still thinking about it two days later. The score is haunting and suspenseful and tense...I loved it! I need to see it again. Soon. Daniel Day-Lewis is absolutely the most prodigious actor alive. If you don't believe me, go watch My Left Foot and In the Name of the Father right now.

Sidenote: have you ever tried so hard to not think about something or someone that it becomes virtually impossible NOT to think about it/him/her? This happened to me this weekend. So instead of just ignoring something, it almost becomes an obsession. It's not a good thing.

Saturday I did some much needed cleaning around my house and went grocery shopping. I spent the day with myself, which I really, really needed. I've been going out too much lately. I did get a couple of drunk phone calls and texts later on in the evening from Sarah and Jed. They make me smile.

Sunday I did my laundry and watched a couple of movies. My mom was sick so I let her pick the movie; she chose The Mother. It's basically about an older woman who has an affair with a hot younger guy (Daniel Craig AKA: James Bond). At the same time, he's also having an affair with her daughter. It's pretty messed up. It was just ok...kind of slow. You do get to see a lot of Daniel Craig's body though so I didn't complain too much.



Later Paige and Nolan came over and we had a few laughs. Apparently Nolan's mom uses a Flowbee to cut her hair! What the hell?? I had no idea these things were still around. Here's a little excerpt from the website: "Using the suction power of your vacuum cleaner, the FLOWBEE draws the hair evenly into the recessed blades and cuts it precisely. The results are a refreshing vacuum haircut." Too funny!



Nolan has pretty good taste in movies, but he's always making me watch weird horror stuff. Tonight he brought over The Thing.


I thought it was just going to be one of his crazy horror movies, but no...it was awesome! I can't believe I have never seen this movie! It had all the makings of a great movie: Kurt Russell, aliens, a wily dude who had been in 'Nam and one of my favorite Stevie Wonder songs, Superstition. I dare say it's even better than Alien. It was the perfect ending to a great weekend...

2 comments:

Chris said...

I love Daniel Craig's body.

Anonymous said...

i will cut yer hair with a flowbee!