Friday, January 18, 2008

Mussels are for lovers

If you're a Squeeze fan, turn on this song: Pulling Mussels (From the Shell). It will set the mood for the story to come.

This week has been so awesome! I can't even begin to tell you how much better it's been than the last couple of weeks. Today I went to lunch at Settebello with three of my favorite people: Lesley, Metra and Cindy!



So my cousin Monty and I have been through a lot this past year. He got divorced; I went through a break up of sorts. We often got together to bemoan the sad state of our lives. Sometime in the Spring we decided to start an ethnic tour of Salt Lake. Here are the restaurants we've dined in so far: Cafe Trang, Bombay House, Aristo's, Cedars of Lebanon, Sawadee and Cafe Madrid. We both agreed that our favorites were Bombay House and Cafe Madrid. Check them out if you haven't been there.

Tonight we resumed our ethnic tour at one of my favorite restaurants: Mi La Cai Noodle House.



We knew it would be a good night when we spotted Jay from Jay and Silent Bob fame.



We went there specifically to try the "Specialty Fondue" dish with shrimp, calamari, mussels, tofu, beef, crab, eggs and beef balls. That's right...beef balls. There was discussion before the dish arrived: were they meatballs made of beef or actual beef balls? The taste test was inconclusive; we're still not sure what they are. FYI they did not taste good.









Aside from the beef balls, the food was delicious. Monty had never tried mussels before and I was being funny/dirty and said, "Mont you know what these look like?" We had a good laugh and took this picture.



Well I decided that picture didn't quite cut it...I needed a close up. So I take this picture:



The picture itself is pretty damn funny, but the story gets funnier. I'm not sure I can even convey the hilarity of the experience through words but I'll try. Right as I was taking the picture our nice Vietnamese waiter, Van, came walking up behind me. He totally knew what we were taking a picture of and got this HUGE grin on his face. Monty and I start cracking up, Monty asks for more beer, I can't make eye contact with the waiter. Being the nice waiter he is, Van volunteered to take our picture: notice my blushing pink face.



Oh. My. God. We could not stop laughing for about 10 minutes. I was literally crying and Monty hurt his diaphragm. And you just know that Van ran back into the kitchen to tell his Vietnamese friends all about the pervs at table 5 taking dirty pictures. Then every time he came back to the table he would start to laugh. Seriously. He could not keep a straight face! I haven't been that embarrassed in a long, long time. At least it makes for a good story.

After the mussel debacle we headed over to The Bakery for coffee and dessert. Topics up for conversation include: the gun room, facebook, Pouya's birthday party pictures and inappropriate e-mailing.



I'm still laughing out loud 3 hours later. Seriously one of the best nights in a long time. I'll never look at a mussel in the same way again...I'm scarred for life.

5 comments:

D-Rock said...

Mi La Cai is where I first met Brett of the Adidas Jacket fame. I love their walnut shrimp with broccoli.

Jabortnik said...

I love Squeeze, Scott bought me the vinyl for Christmas! Heaven, to boot I love muscles, one of the only ocean creatures I eat. YAY!

Violet said...

I've never been to Mi La Cai, but you definitely made me want to check it out. Beef balls huh?

Jessica said...

I'll totally go to La Cia with you Violet! Just no beef balls for me... :)

Violet said...

Let's go. Yes, I have enough beef balls in my life right now.