Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Change is awesome!

So I read this article the other day that said the American Dialect Society chose the word "subprime" as the word of the year. Boring. My favorite word was a runner-up: "Googleganger" which is play on doppelganger and means a person with your name who shows up when you Google yourself. I myself, have several Googlegangers. Try it for yourself and see who's out there.

My close friends and I have started a new word thing. Not on purpose...it just kind of happened. You know when you hang out with people a lot and you start to talk like each other and use the same phrases? Examples from my past:

Ugh!
totally
seriously
Yeah, no.
Well that's good!
turning words like cheers and beer into churrs and burr
I am not amused!
your mom (that one never stops being funny)
prefacing every sentence with "Apparently..."

Well now the new thing to say is "Awesome!" But not in a good way...in an extra mean, sarcastic way. Recent utilization of this reclaimed word by my friends:

"Look at this awesome rejection e-mail I just received."
"The lady at the movie theater laughed when I asked for just one ticket. That makes me feel awesome!"
"I just passed out in a restaurant. Awesome!"

In other news, I've been a political junkie the past few days leading up to today's primary in New Hampshire. I watched part of the Republican debate on Saturday before I went bowling...not really impressive. Mitt was certainly aggressive and Huckabee was quite smug. I didn't get a chance to see the Democrats. I'm constantly on CNN.com, Anderson Cooper's blog, The Huffington Post trying to get more info; Nightline is my new crack (man I miss Ted Koppel!). Everyone seems to be jumping on the "Change!" bandwagon. I hate buzzwords.

Latest poll (Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby):
Obama 42

Clinton 29 (ouch!!)

Edwards 17

McCain 36

Romney 27

Huckabee 10

Giuliani 10

Paul 10

Yikes! Read these true excerpts from Ron Paul's past.

Well now I'm off to drive across town in rush hour traffic for a meeting. Awesome!

1 comment:

sweber said...

Ron Paul looks like a cross between the dad from "Say Anything" and Ian McKellan. And I like Mitt's thumbs up. Awesome.