Wednesday, January 23, 2008

iTunes Hall of Shame

So I actually wasn't going to write anything tonight. I wasn't really feeling it. I didn't get home from work until 7:30. Talked with Jed for about an hour; we had a pretty deep discussion about morals, or lack thereof rather. Then Sarah called and there went another hour. I decided to take a long, hot shower...the kind that makes your skin turn pink and your fingers all pruny. I always get good ideas in the shower. I had my iTunes on party shuffle and this really bad song came on: Don't Know Much, a lovely duet by Aaron Neville (that mole is sick!) and Linda Ronstadt.


How did this song get on my computer?? And how do I know all of the words?? I have no idea. It prompted me to look through the rest of my music and I have some pretty embarrassing stuff.

I've been told I have pretty good taste in music. I'm not so sure now. Here's a compilation of really bad music from my collection to make you smile. Enjoy!

Air Supply: Greatest Hits


Worst Air Supply song: Making Love Out of Nothing At All. Runner up: Sweet Dreams.

BJ Thomas: Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head

Ok, so it's a Burt Bacahrach song, but you've got to admit it's pretty cheesy.



Bell, Biv, DeVoe: Poison

I also have a remix version. I am so sad. Favorite line: "Never trust a big butt and a smile!"



Bobby Brown: about 5 songs

These songs remind me of 6th grade and how everyone was in love with Spencer Chipping. Best (meaning worst) Bobby Brown song: My Perogative. Apparently it was Bobby Brown's perogative in 1990 to have really bad, asymmetrical hair. Awesome!



Bon Jovi: New Jersey

Remember when Bon Jovi was the coolest band ever? Yeah, me neither. Coincidentally, New Jersey was one of my first tapes...the Easter Bunny brought it to me. Seriously.



Digital Underground: The Humpty Dance

The saddest part about this song: I know ALL of the lyrics.



Keith Moon: Two Sides of the Moon

Many of you know, I love The Who and I love Keith Moon more. But the man cannot sing. He should always be drumming, even in the afterlife.



Meatloaf: I'd Do Anything For Love

Sarah and I used to record MTV circa 1990-1992. We had this video on tape several times. Meatloaf will do anything for love, but he won't do "that." What is it that he won't do??



Nelson: After the Rain, Love and Affection

I cannot begin to tell you how obsessed Sarah and I were with Nelson in 1990. She was Matthew, I was Gunnar. We wrote notes to each other in our Nelson personnas. We were freaks! BTW: That's Gunnar on the left and Matthew on the right.



New Kids on the Block: Greatest Hits

To be fair, Jed gave this to me as a joke a couple of years ago. Still, it's pretty embarrassing. Best song: Hangin' Tough. Best ballad: Please Don't Go Girl.



Starship: Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now

Poor Grace Slick...where did her ideals go? This is a far, far cry from Jefferson Airplane my friend. Isn't this song from Mannequin?


Trixter: One In a Million

I debated whether to include Trixter or Warrant. I decided Trixter was more emabarrassing. Plus I knew it would make Sarah laugh.



Vengaboys: We Like to Party (Vengabus)

This song will always remind me of Mexico 1999. Getting drunk every night on the beach and trying to sneak Monty into Tequilla Volleyball. Good times.

6 comments:

Briana Ward said...

Ah, the music from our past! I feel like I know more about you now. I know that if I were to go thru my ipod I would find some stuff that I would cringe at. But as for my music likes it has been the same since I was in 9th grade, Jazz, although I like to think I have learned to appreciate other styles now that I have grown up! I think I have some Garth Brooks on my ipod that I should really get rid of, but Jeremy used to play in a country band and I was really just trying to be a supportive wife ;)

Violet said...

These made me laugh so hard. I have so much embarrassing music (remember Never Been to Me by Charlene?) that I don't even let people look at my I-Tunes.:)

Jennifer said...

I love that you and Sarah wrote to each other in your Nelson personalities. Can I call you Gunnar from now on?

Leslie said...

Yes, that was the theme song from Mannequin! Do you think I wouldn't know an Andrew McCarthy movie? Don't you have "I Wanna Sex You Up" by Color Me Bad? That's a good one.

D-Rock said...

Don't be knocking Ms. Ronstandt. I love that duet! Now, Mr. Neville, on the other hand, I'm not such a huge fan. Stephanie and I used to make fun of "Don't take away my heaven".

Danielle Friedman said...

Dear Jessica:

I'm a reporter and graduate student at the Columbia University Journalism School, and I'm working on an article about "guilty music pleasures." I'm writing it for a news wire called the Columbia News Service, which distributes our content to newspapers across the U.S. and Canada.

In researching the topic, I came across your blog post, and I was wondering if it might be possible to set up a time to speak with you briefly for this story. If you'd be available to chat for a few minutes in the next few days, that would be great.

Thanks very much.

Best regards,
Danielle Friedman
daf2132@columbia.edu