Thursday, April 17, 2008

Pet Peeves of the Day

#1
People who use commas (with unnecessary spaces) instead of periods when using ellipsis.

Example: Why do I use commas instead of periods, , ,I don't know!


#2
Educated people who cannot pronounce words correctly. These are "words" I have heard the past few days. I am not making this up.

Examples:

"I'm going to read him the riot rack!" Ok, if by riot rack you mean riot act.

"I hear they're shooting woofs in Wyoming." It's WOLF/WOLVES people!

Supposibly is NEVER a word and neither is irregardless, so please don't use both of them in the same GD sentence!

"It's of the upmost importance that we get these letters out today." Seriously?? I think it's of the utmost importance that you learn to speak correctly!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one this irritates!
The one that has been getting on my nerves the most lately is that people seem to think that the word "than" has been removed from the English language and the word "then" is now used in both cases.
I've heard things such as "this is a bigger deal then we thought it was" or "this new process will be easier then the way we are doing it now."
It makes me want to scream when I hear it, or see it on their PowerPoint presentations.

Leslie said...

Irregardless...my favorite Utah county word, along with "unthaw!"