Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Secrets don't make friends

Soundtrack for tonight's blogging: Pet Shop Boys, Introspective. Favorite track: Always On My Mind/In My House.


I like secrets. People are always telling me their secrets or telling me other people's secrets. Basically there are a lot of secrets floating around out there. I'm not gonna lie...I kind of like knowing all these secrets, but sometimes the information can be overwhelming. I have secrets of my own you know!  I recently read this article about keeping BIG secrets, either your own or others'. This really can have a profound effect on your life, physically and emotionally.  Where do you draw the line?  When do you spill the beans, if ever? This is all very rhetorical; fortunately I am not harboring any harmful, salacious secrets.  

All these thoughts about secrets really came about when my friend Staci directed me to the PostSecret blog. I first heard of this project a few years ago when this book came out.  

It all started when this guy named Frank asked people to send him anonymous postcards with a secret on it.  Now Frank posts about 20 of these secret postcards on his blog every Sunday.  It's easy to get drawn into other people's secrets...take a look at some of my favorites.   

Some secrets remind me of things I would say






Some secrets make me laugh





Some secrets are just gross





Some secrets are illegal




Some secrets are sad






Moral of the story: everyone has secrets.  Does sharing secrets make one feel better?  I don't know.  I'll leave you tonight with a few of my own secrets and I'll let you know.
  • I sit in the dark and spy on my neighbors from my kitchen window 
  • Sometimes I go pee when I talk to you on the phone
  • One time when I was bowling I got really drunk and left without paying
  • I made Amy and Sarah steal beer glasses for me from several bars and now I've implicated them in a crime

1 comment:

Violet said...

Post Secret is one of those ideas where you think -- why didn't I think of that? You posted some of my favorites. The cat litter scoop one made me and Hub laugh for a long time. I recently sent in my own secret!