Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Oscar Fever

So the Oscars are coming up on Sunday. I decided I better throw some predictions out there for this year. I have a love/hate relationship with the Oscars. I always get so excited when the nominations come out, but they piss me off at the same time. Like when Titanic won over LA Confidential. Or when 2 of the best docs from last year weren't even nominated (In the Shadow of the Moon and The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters).  

I didn't get to see ANY of the foreign films this year and that makes me sad. I didn't even vote on one of my favorite categories, documentary, because I only saw two: Sicko and No End in Sight. Both very, very good. Other than that, I pretty much saw the rest. So here are my votes, even though they won't count on Sunday! My picks are highlighted in PURPLE because it's my favorite color.  

Best Picture
Atonement
Juno
Michael Clayton
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood

I would also be okay with NCFOM winning too...but I'm really pulling for TWBB!

Best Actress

Cate Blanchett "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"
Julie Christy "Away From Her"
Marion Cotillard "La Vie en Rose"
Laura Linney "The Savages"
Ellen page "Juno"

Admittedly, I haven't seen The Savages or La Vie en Rose. But Julie Christy is amazing in Away From Her.   

Best Actor

George Clooney "Michael Clayton"
Daniel Day-Lewis "There Will Be Blood"
Johnny Depp "Sweeney Todd"
Tommy Lee Jones "In the Valley of Elah"
Viggo Mortensen "Eastern Promises"

There is absolutely no question here; Daniel Day-Lewis delivered the best performance. I did, however, enjoy the flopping weiner scene in Eastern Promises. All of these actors gave fine perfomances, but DDL is the the clear choice for me.

Best Supporting Actress

Cate Blanchett "I'm Not There"
Ruby Dee "American Gangster"
Saoirse Ronan "Atonement"
Amy Ryan "Gone Baby Gone"
Tilda Swinton "Michael Clayton"

If you haven't seen I'm Not There, go see it now! I would also be okay with Amy Ryan winning for her gritty, foul mouthed mom in Gone Baby Gone.

Best Supporting Actor

Casey Affleck "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"
Javier Bardem "No Country For Old Men"
Hal Holbrook "Into the Wild"
Philip Seymour Hoffman "Charlie Wilson's War"
Tom Wilkinson "Michael Clayton"

This was a hard category for me; all great perfomances. My boyfriend PSH was awesome as usual and he got to wear some pretty cool glasses. But in the end, Javier Bardem's character scared the crap out of me and I thought about that movie for days.

Best Director

Julian Schnabel "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"
Jason Reitman "Juno"
Tony Gilroy "Michael Clayton"
Joel and Ethan Coen "No Country For Old Men"
Paul Thomas Anderson "There Will Be Blood"

Gotta give it up for the Coen brothers! That's all I have to say about that.

Cinematography

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Atonement
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood

I don't feel strongly about this category, but the way parts of this film were shown literally from an eye's perspective is pretty cool. And kind of gross.  

Best Song

Falling Slowly "Once"
Happy Working Song "Enchanted"
So Close "Enchanted"
That's How You Know "Enchanted
Raise It Up "August Rush"

I think I listened to this song about a thousand times in July. No lie.  

Best Original Screenplay

Juno
Lars and the Real Girl
Michael Clayton
Ratatouille
The Savages

This was a hard choice for me between Juno and Lars. Had to go with Lars in my gut, but I would be happy if Juno won.  

No comments: