Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!


I used to love Valentine's Day in elementary school. I would spend days decorating my shoe box and bring cards for everyone in my class. If I really liked a boy, I would add an extra candy heart in his card and seal it with a chapstick kiss. There was an exhilarating excitement when you received a card from the boy that you had a crush on, even if he gave the exact same card to every other girl in the class.

Nowadays, I don't love or hate Valentine's Day. I mail a few cards out, I send a mass text to my friends and family, I bring candy to work...I'm pretty apathetic about it. This is probably because it's been awhile since I've had an actual Valentine. I'd like to think that I am immune to the consumerism of it all: the $50 roses that die in 2 days, the diamonds, the expensive dinners. How many starving kids can we feed with all that money spent in the name of love?? But deep down I am a hopeless romantic and part of me wishes I had someone to share today with. Other than my life partner, Sarah, that is.

I received an e-mail poem from a friend today reminding me to be my own Valentine. When I first read that, I thought, "How sad is that?? Just one more thing I have to do alone." However, upon further reading, the last few lines of the poem really resonated with me.

Forgive yourself
Let go of the harsh judgments
You torture yourself with
You are you and it’s enough

Be your own Valentine
And no matter if you get flowers or not
You know you are loved deeply
Because it always starts with you!

Elsewhere in the world, they celebrate Valentine's Day a little differently: they ban stuff. Saudi Arabia has recently banned the sale of all things red in an effort to stop immoral relations between unmarried men and women. How banning the sale of red items would play a role in discouraging opposite sex relations is beyond my understanding. Teenage sex has been banned in Thailand, but only for Valentine's Day.

Enjoy your Valentine's Day, whether you have someone to share it with or not. Tell your friends and family you love them, be nice to yourself and eat lots of candy hearts.

No comments: