Tuesday, September 30, 2008

September Wrap Up

September has come to an end! All the signs point to Fall's arrival: leaves are changing, the morning air is crisp, squirrels are packing away their acorns and pumpkin ale has arrived. In order to celebrate the new season I'm adding two new lists to my monthly Top 5: things that must go and things that make me smile. 

Top 5 Days in September: 4, 9, 19, 20, 25

Top 5 Things That Must Go: 
  • That terrible Kid Rock Sweet Home Alabama/Werewolf in London/Bob Seger rip off. Better yet, Kid Rock should just go away and stop ruining classic rock.  
  • My tonsils
  • Drinking champagne on a school night
  • Grudges
  • Jason Mraz. Like 5 years ago.
Top 5 Things That Make Me Smile: 
  • Obama/Biden bumper stickers everywhere I look here in the reddest state in the Union
  • Beaujolais Nouveaux
  • Road trips
  • The new Thievery Corporation album
  • Choke: read the book first, then see the movie.  Beware neither are for the faint of heart. If you enjoy Palahniuk's writing be sure to read Invisible Monsters, my personal favorite.
Top 5 Songs:

1. Zero: Smashing Pumpkins

After the NIN concert I was still feeling a little bit nostalgic and busted out some Smashing Pumpkins. I still love this song and it's great one to listen to while running.


2. Boys Don't Cry: The Cure

Again with the nostalgia...I can't help it, I'm a very sentimental person!



3. Supermassive Black Hole: Muse

I love Muse and this is one of my favorite songs. If you haven't heard them before, check them out ASAP. Absolution is perfection!



4. Waiting in Vain: Bob Marley

I used to listen to this song over and over and over again in Chicago. Then again about 2 years ago when it got me through some tough times. 



5. Please Let That Be You: The Rentals

This song makes me happy and sometimes I dance around my house when it's on. Music nerd fact: The Rentals is fronted by the former bassist of Weezer. It's hard to believe this song came out in 1995, they sound very contemporary. Way ahead of their time and like other musical mavericks, unappreciated.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad I'm not the only one who has had a thing for The Cure latetly.

Anonymous said...

1. Thanks for leaving my birthday out of your top five days in September.

2. The song "Waiting in Vain" is the reason I dragged Kristi to that bar where we witnessed the worst bar brawl of all time.