Friday, September 5, 2008

Sushi Master

A few weeks ago I was looking for a wine tasting to try for Allen's birthday when I came across a sushi class at Sur La Table that sounded fun. I've been wanting to learn how to make sushi for a long time now and I knew Allen would love it. A little sushi lesson for you: the word sushi technically means pickled fish. Over time the word sushi has evolved into dishes made with rice including nori maki (rolls), nigiri (rice with fish on top), temaki (cones) and sashimi (slices of raw fish, sans rice).

I was a little bit on edge right before class because Allen was late to pick me up and he drives slower than any person I know. But we arrived right on time and the sushi making party began.



Rolling the sushi really wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. We learned some tips on working with the rice and rolling the mat along. I think the hardest part for me was making sure the nori (seaweed) didn't come apart while I rolled it.



Here are our spicy tuna cones that double as a bouquet and boutonniere.


Our finished products: california roll, inside out bagel roll (salmon and cream cheese), spicy tuna cone and lettuce roll. We also got to try miso soup, sashimi and a deep fried eel roll. Everything was delicious, except for the vegan lettuce roll. I would hate to be a vegan, plus they were the hardest to roll up.



5 comments:

Scott said...

How fun!! Ryan gifted me a Sur la Table class a few years ago -- they are super fun. Fried eel??? Ugh, no. But I like most other sushi...

Jessica said...

Now I know what I am going to get Devin for our anniversary. He would love a cooking class.

I am having a hard time eating meat lately, but can not imagine being a vegan. Too time comsuming, and $$.

Leslie said...

You look sexy in all of these pictures! When can you go to lunch? I can go on Mondays or Fridays. Hope to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Another interest fact about the sushi is that it's a fairly recent edition to Japanese culture. It wasn't until after WWII, when Japan started acquiring refrigeration, that they tackled what is now a staple of their diet.

Thank you, NPR. I love the sushi.

Jessica said...

Interesting fact Ms. Hurd! Maybe I will make you some sushi next time I see you...