Monday, September 1, 2008

August Wrap Up

August was quite eventful, hence the lack of blog posts. 3 weddings, house guests, Idaho, Phoenix, Seattle. I can hardly believe it's already September. The crazy fall weather has already arrived in Utah: Saturday it was 100 degrees; this morning there was hail, snow in the mountains and the thermometer read a chilly 48 degrees. Not sure I'm ready for snow yet. I am, however, ready for a calmer month and falling back into my routine. I'm going to try to keep my dishes done, spend more time in the gym, actually write some quality blogs, read more and eat something more substantial than Cocoa Pebbles for dinner. 

And it's official, I have to get my tonsils removed. I reluctantly agreed to the surgery after the surgeon told me things would only get worse without a tonsillectomy. I think I've spent more of this year ailing with my mysterious illnesses than I have been healthy. So I'm scheduled for surgery on October 1 and I'm anxiously counting down the days. I keep hearing horror stories about how hard the recovery is and the doctor told me I need to take two weeks off from work, maybe three. What the hell? Sounds excessive to me, but I'm all set to take some time off with work so I guess I'll take advantage of that. If you're interested, here's a video of a tonsillectomy. It's kind of graphic so don't watch it if you're not into blood and stuff.  

Top 5 days in August: 9, 16, 22, 23, 29

Top 5 songs:

1. Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels): Arcade Fire

So there was this boy I kind of liked in December and he loved Arcade Fire. Needless to say, things didn't work out. I was in a bad place for a few weeks and couldn't listen to Arcade Fire for months because it reminded me of said boy. How stupid am I? Apparently, very stupid. I let some guy I liked for like five minutes keep me away from good music? After 8 months of exile, Arcade Fire is now back on my regular play list and won't be going anywhere any time soon. 




2. Mercy: Duffy

When Jed was in town a few weeks ago he brought a mix with this song on it (along with my beloved Brandy Alexander) and we listened to it over and over again. It's old school and sexy and I love it.  



3. Gamma Ray: Beck

I've loved Beck from the beginning of time.  Here's one of my favorite songs from his new album Modern Guilt!



4. Sex on Fire: Kings of Leon

New music is everywhere lately! I am really, really liking this new KOL song and I can't wait to hear the rest of the album (coming out 9-23-08). 


5. Halo: Bloc Party

Bloc Party was also off the table for awhile due to aforementioned 5 minute boy and this one song that always made me sad: This Modern Love. But my affection for Bloc Party has been renewed by this song. 



Honorable Mentions:
Shake It: Metro Station 
I should be really embarrassed to even put this link on my blog, but this song is so damn catchy! Ugh. Can you believe the singer is Miley Cyrus' brother? Go ahead and make fun of me, I give you full permission to mock my lack of musical taste in this instance. 

Faggoty Attention: Adam Joseph
This was also on Jed's mix and it makes me laugh. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cocoa Pebbles for dinner is a very great idea.

Jessica said...

Cocoa Pebbles for dinner is better for you than a martini right? At least I get some much needed riboflavin in that way. However, the martini does include an olive which I count as a vegetable. It's a toss up.

Jessica said...

Yuck that you have to get your tonsils out. But I hear you get liquid lortab!

I am the one that should be embaressed. My two year old says, "Hannah Montan's brother!" every time it comes on. And she sings the chorus to I kissed a girl. What kind of mother am I?

Cindy said...

That sucks you have to get your tonsils out, but better in the long run. I will bring you bunches of Jamba juices to get you through tough times. They can add some supplements like riboflavin since your Cocoa Pebbles will scratch your throat scabs.