Thursday, November 20, 2008

Running a Marathon: NOLA style

Saturday started out in a leisurely manner. We were well rested and as usual, hungry. I'm a big fan of eating breakfast food and drinking alcohol simultaneously so we headed to Bywater BBQ for brunch. While I was sipping on one of the best bloody marys I'd ever had, I thought I saw Mike Ross from Henry's. And wouldn't you know it really was him and his out-of-town posse? We joined them for some more bloody marys, a few rounds of categories and a small Prop 8 protest. Turns out they were just starting on a historical pub crawl...27 bars, 7 miles. Amy and I weren't really sold on it, but we decided to make a few stops for fun. We ended up sticking around for about 14 hours and I'm sorry to tell you it wasn't very historical, but it was historic.

First up: Markey's Bar




On the road...people were already starting to crawl




The Friendly Bar. We had to be buzzed into this bar, ironically, not so friendly




Props to Stacy for taking pictures of the signs...I forgot


This place had the dirtiest bathroom in New Orleans and no toilet paper




I peed here


Hand Grenades in the French Quarter




This place was TINY




Pat O'Brien's for a Hurricane




At this point Amy and I were hungry again, so we hopped in a cab and made our way to Dick and Jenny's. This place is pretty famous and I have no idea how we got right in on a Saturday night. We sat down at the bar to eat some frog legs. Amy ordered us margaritas; I couldn't handle the tequila so she had mine. I vaguely remember eating some flounder and grits.


Next thing I knew, we were back at Henry's. Joe was there!


So was Mike Ross and part of his posse




This is Peppa at the end of the night, not looking so hot. No idea what my hair is doing.


We made it back across the street to Amy's house at some point. How I kept track of my phone, camera and purse all night I'll never know. When I woke up the next morning, I found I had erased all of my texts and phone calls. So I apologize if you received anything inappropriate, but I hope it made you smile, at least.

This is how Amy and I recover from a 14 hour pub crawl through the streets of New Orleans: we buy a whole damn Popeye's store and watch a little Entourage. I never get to eat Popeye's at home and I enjoyed it, throughly. I ate about 2 bites of all of the sides and all of the chicken skin, because really, that's the best part.


Sadly, my trip to New Orleans came to an end and I can't believe how quickly the weekend went by! My flights back home were hideously long and I didn't arrive at my house until 1:30 am. But I must say it was worth all the trouble to spend some much needed quality time with Amy!

1 comment:

Scott said...

The last picture is priceless!