Saturday, June 14, 2008

(Virtual) Reality Bites

Recently one of my friends got an e-mail from a guy that basically said something like this:

"I'm sorry. I can't. Don't hate me."

If you're familiar with Sex and the City you know that Berger used this phrase to break up with Carrie, but instead of an e-mail he wrote it on a post-it note. This got me thinking...almost everyone I know (including me) has experienced some form of virtual break up. When did it become acceptable to break up with people via e-mail, text or instant message? When did having an honest face-to-face dialogue become too much for people to handle? How does one begin to draw the proverbial line in virtual communication?  

I must admit that I am guilty of using technology instead of face-to-face communication a lot of the time. Jed calls me Quick Draw McGraw because I text back so quickly. I text way more than I talk on the phone. In fact I just changed my text plan to unlimited and decreased my minutes because I just don't talk on the phone like I used to. And it's obviously not just limited to my phone.  You're here. You're reading my blog, checking up on my life. When was the last time we chatted in person?? I know there is definitely a time and a place for technology in my life, but at what cost? I find myself becoming irritated with slow texters or people who write back one word answers on chat. Am I forfeiting certain aspects of interpersonal relationships in exchange for instant gratification? 

I don't pretend to have any answers, I just like to ask the questions. Moral of the story: when it comes down to having "the talk" perhaps next time you should actually talk.

No comments: