Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Resolution: Keep New Year's Resolutions

"Make the most of your regrets; never smother your sorrow, but tend and cherish it until it comes to have a separate and integral interest. To regret deeply is to live afresh."

Henry David Thoreau


The impending new year has gotten me thinking: have I grown this past year, have I learned anything, have I made any progress towards my life goals, do I have any regrets. I've been grappling with the word regret. Its definition is quite negative: a feeling of sorrow or remorse for a fault, act, loss, disappointment, etc. When you regret something you can become unhappy, get shackled to the past, waste your present and become hopelessly pessimistic about your future.

However, I believe regret can also lead to positive outcomes and the realization of important life lessons. Life is not about regretting lost opportunities or lamenting unwise decisions, it's about counting the possibilities. So as I look ahead to 2009, I vow to work on being more positive, to look ahead rather than constantly looking back and to remember that life is more about what I can do than what I have or have not done.

In 2009 I resolve to:

Take more risks, but not be risky
Do the dishes in a timely manner
Finally visit Canada
Experiment more in the kitchen
Read more books and watch less tv
Work on accepting myself as I am, no matter where I am in life
Be more patient and less judgmental

No comments: