Monday, December 15, 2008

Late Thoughts

I just realized I started this blog about a year ago. Why, you ask? Mostly because I like to write and I needed something to help me cope with my rampant insomnia. I also kind of liked this guy who had a witty, quirky, artsy blog and I guess that in some way his blog encouraged me start writing again. I don't know if he reads my blog now or if he ever read it for that matter. But if you're out there somewhere B, thank you for sending a little inspiration my way. It just may have been fate. 

Recently I've been wondering if this blog has become irrelevant. Between facebook, twitter, IM, texting, e-mail and the fact that I am a pretty social person, people generally know what's going on in my life. Do I really need another forum to tell the whole world every little thought that goes through my mind? No, I don't. Luckily for you, dear readers, I do not blog about my every waking thought because that would scare most of you. 

Looking back on the past year, I feel like I've grown. I hope I've grown. I have certainly had the challenges, disappointments and inevitable regret to provide sufficient emotional growth. Do I still find myself making bad choices, even when I know it's not the best thing for me? Yes. Do I still turn to self-destructive behavior to escape overwhelming feelings or to not feel anything? Yes. Is the perfectionist in me still rearing her ugly head? Yes. Do I still make decisions with my heart instead of my head? Absolutely. Here's the point: Yeah, I still do stupid shit and will probably do so until the day I die. But I find myself doing stupid shit less often and I suppose that's a small sign of progression. 

It's no secret I'm in my head a lot; I'm very insightful and in tune with my emotions. I generally like that about myself, but in some ways it's not healthy for me. I tend to isolate myself when I get in certain moods. I feel like I'm a slave to my feelings and I hate that I am unable to control that part of my life. Today I was listening to Bob Marley and I heard this line in Redemption Song: 

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

I've heard this song 900 times, but I never really got it until today. Suddenly it dawned on me: I need to work on me. This brings me back full circle, back to the relevance of this blog. I enjoy writing. I'm fairly good at it, I like entertaining people and it helps me express myself. Writing allows me to free my thoughts, but there is still work to be done. I will continue writing this blog because it is significant to me and it gives me some sense of control on my path to mental freedom. So I hope you enjoy the ride, it looks like my maelstrom will remain in print for the time being. 

5 comments:

Leslie said...

I love your blog. Don't ever stop writing. You always make me laugh, cry, think, or just smile. You're such a great person. We all go through craziness in our lives. Thank goodness we have friends and family to help us through!

Jessica said...

Thanks Les! I think you're a pretty amazing person too.

Anonymous said...

I dig your blog. And, for the record, 40's not THAT old . . .

Jessica said...

Well thank you, Anonymous.

Jessica said...

I would miss your blog if you puttered out on us! Shit even though we have not seen each other since HS, it has been nice to get to know you more. Who are we kidding, I hardly knew myself in HS, let alone all of the people I was friends with.

Oh Bob,I have been finding myself listening to him A LOT lately, and just put a quote from him on FB RIGHT before I read your post. He has always been a favorite of mine.

Life is such a strange, hard, beautiful ride, & I love your take on it.